Western Australia vast geography makes it ripe for investment in agriculture, aquaculture, fisheries, or food and beverage manufacturing. The diverse climate enables the production of a wide range of products.
In 2019–20, agricultural production in WA was worth A$8.8 billion and the sector employed approximately 30,000 people.
Incentives, grants and support
- The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development assists agribusinesses by:
- providing bespoke project facilitation and supports for businesses throughout the different stages of their growth cycle
- delivering programs that support capacity building and business growth
- facilitating export market access and trade connections
- driving domestic consumer demand for WA produce through the Buy West Eat Best program
- supporting agribusinesses to navigate and secure regulatory approvals with relevant government departments
- supporting businesses to be ‘investor ready’ – there are a number of programs and resources available for small and medium-sized agriculture, food and beverage businesses to help them attract and secure investment.
- The HARVEST Accelerator program is designed specifically for agtech start ups looking to innovate in the agrifood industry.
- The New Industries Fund supports new and emerging businesses with a range of programs including innovation hubs, the WA Innovator of the Year awards and the Innovation Vouchers Program.
- Invest & Trade Western Australia has a team of business facilitation professionals who can work with you to assess your business requirements and connect you with relevant government and industry stakeholders.